I can't tell you how much it pains me to write this post. After 20ish years, the PEZ collection has finally been sold. Granted, I haven't purchased any new dispensers for at least 5 years. True, their home for the past 10 years has been a paper grocery bag that gets transferred from closet to garage to closet to barn to closet to floor in the office any time John finds them and threatens to throw them out. Still....that was my schtick. My thing. I was a collector of the PEZ. In some way (albeit small) it defined me and now it's gone. I'm no longer a collector. I can no longer look at Pez on the end cap in the grocery store and smugly nod my head knowing I already have that one. I can no longer get on ebay to check the value of my prized doctor PEZ (with no feet, of course)--regardless of the fact that nobody is bidding on collectibles these days. Gone is the dream that one day I will finally break down and decide to sell my collection only to find that it's valued at over $1,000,000 and buyers are knocking down my door.
My only comfort in this heartbreak is that my little collection is going to a good home. They are going to a man in Minnesota who started collecting with his wife when they were dating. He now has involved his kids and they collect as a family affair. He is very excited to surprise his kids with my collection, which does bring me a small shimmer of joy. At least they're going to someone who will take good care of them (dare I say even better care than I did??).
So, farewell Tweety Bird, goodbye Wonder Woman, so long Papa Smurf, auf wiedersehen Ghost whose face looks like it's melting off.....it's been a good run.

3 comments:
That's pretty funny. And a little bit sad, I must say. I remember giving you some of those Pez dispensers back in high school. Hopefully they will be loved in their new home. Now you have to find a new hobby -- maybe something to do with farming since you live in Grant :)
so... not related to the Pez blog, but that was a bit of a tear jerker though. Hope you sold them for a ton of dough!
I just glanced and saw the pregnancy ticker and thought "wow Mindy, thats impressive... pregnant with a 4 month old. Then I saw that its NOT your pregnancy. I was about to give you much praise for having them back to back! Glad I realized the facts before I sounded like a rambling idiot... but maybe I already do?
Post a Comment