Saturday I had the privilege of attending Simon Ho'olulu Maioho's first birthday party/luau. John stayed home sick, so it was just me and Jackson, but we had a great time and the food was excellent! It got me thinking that I need to host a luau one of these days....maybe if that brother of mine ever comes home from Hawaii for a visit...anyway, here are some pics since I know some of you reading this weren't able to make it.
explaining the process/layers that go into burying the pig .
I'm not certain, but I believe it's:
start a fire and burn for several hours
layer of bricks
layer of cabbage leaves
pig wrapped in chicken wire
layer of cabbage leaves
layer of burlap
layer of plastic.
The steam can't escape the plastic, so it stays "trapped" creating a pressure cooker.
mom and birthday boy looking on
removing the burlap bags and cabbage leaves
Finally found the meat
pouring the 'oh-so-tender' pig into buckets
Jack and his buddy Simon posing after getting their bellies filled
No comments:
Post a Comment